Thursday, June 27, 2013

Our Wedding

I randomly found a blog that was asking people about their wedding details, a deet-up if you will.  They wanted to know the good, the bad, and the ugly from your special day.  Thankfully, I only have good from that day.  After reading a few, I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones.  And with our anniversary coming up, I thought I'd share what I thought.

Location(church/outdoors/destination):  Our wedding goal was to show as many features of St. Louis City as possible.  Being a tourist in our city is a big part of our relationship and we wanted that to show.  Ceremony was held at St. Ambrose Catholic Church.  We picked the Church because they actually talked to me when I was calling around.  We narrowed it down to a few churches that we liked and then I made calls.  St. Ambrose worked with us the most since we were not parishioners anywhere.  My great aunt sponsored us and we found a priest and we were set for the ceremony.

We had a 4 hour gap between the wedding and the reception.  And in true St. Louis fashion, we drove around town getting our pictures taken.  We hit the normal places Ted Drewes(for much needed free frozen custard), Forest Park, Busch Stadium, and Keiner Plaza.  Our reception was at the Randell Gallery.  We had the entire building to ourselves.  We had a sit down dinner on the third floor, a gallery of pictures and sculptures in the basement, and dancing and lounge area on the main floor.  The place was perfect for us.




Colors:  I always thought that black bridesmaids dresses were perfect.  I'm very rational and did not want my bridesmaids to spend a lot of money on a dress they would never wear again.  So, when I picked out the dresses, I went to the "dresses you can wear again" section of David's Bridal.  Since our wedding was in August, I wanted something that was light and comfortable.  I think I accomplished that with strapless, knee length dresses with pockets. 


We stumbled upon yellow flowers while shopping for florists.  The florist I ended up going with was a family friend and she did an amazing job with the flowers.  I love the yellow and think it really popped against my white dress and the black of the bridesmaids dresses.


Bridal Party:  We kept it small.  We had our closest family and friends from grade school and college.  We had 2 junior bridesmaids, 2 flower girls, 2 groomsmen/ushers, and 2 ring bearers to include our family.  I think the small size kept the group close and fun.



First Dance Song:  After much, much discussion we chose Kenny Chesney's "Me & You."  I felt that after 12 years  of knowing each other the song was a perfect fit.  My husband compromised with me on the song, he is not a big Kenny Chesney fan.


Honeymoon:  We went to the Mayan Rivera for our honeymoon.  We left bright and early the morning after our wedding.  The flight down was not fun.  I had a headache and then our driver in Mexico was crazy.  It was the second time in my life that I felt car sick.  But the trip was great, we laid on the beach, repelled into a sink hole, saw Mayan Ruins, Snorkeling, slept in, read, tanned.  It was great!


What would you do different?:  I loved our wedding; I don't think there is anything I would do different.  I might take an extra day before leaving on our honeymoon.  Spend it was family that came in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment